What if I Don't Have the Magic?
What if I don't have the magic?
Here I am not talking about skill or talent as a writer. I believe that can be honed. I'm worried I don't have that spark of romance magic inside me that will allow me to write a romance novel.
I just finished watching a romance movie. It was so good. It touched my heart. But what if I don't have that magical gift to give someone else? I don't think about being swept off my feet by a man. I find the heroes of romance novels tedious if not downright offensive. How can I write a romance novel if I can barely stand romance heroes?
There are a handful of answers to that question. The first and saddest answer is that I can't write romance. It's not for me. I have to pick another genre and stick to that, instead of following my dream to become a romance novelist.
The second answer is to write a romantic hero I can stand. Find the perfect man and write about him. He would really be a charming prince or a knight in shining armour. He'd have to be absolutely perfect, which might get a little boring when it comes to the conflict required for a romance novel.
The final answer is to think bigger. If I struggle with romance heroes, I can simply write a romance novel without one. No charming prince. No knight in shining armour. Sapphic romance does exist, you know? I could write a female or a nonbinary love interest.
I think the answer is going to have to be to think bigger. Romance heroes aren't for me, so I'll craft a story without one. It's been done before. Some of my favourite romance novels are sapphic. I hope I'm ready to take that leap. I hope that, once I discard my preconceived ideas about romance, I can find that magical spark within myself. Let's go.
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment