Contemporary Romantic Comedy

While I have always dreamed of writing a historical romance, writing historicals is not for the faint of heart. It requires deep research and a 360° understanding of the world you're writing about. As a first-time novelist, would a contemporary romance be easier?

Romantic comedy is not easy per se. Comedy is a craft that requires skill and practice. That said, writing something set in our world, in our time, must logically be easier than reconstructing an era in the past or imagining a time in the future. It makes sense to start with a contemporary romance. And I like the idea of writing comedy.

Most importantly, I already have an idea for a contemporary romantic comedy. Not to give away too much detail, but it's a mixture of light-hearted and serious ideas and themes. The main character (the heroine) has depth. There is a slight amount of research to do, but nothing like as much as there would be when writing a historical romance.

So, maybe I should put my historical romance ideas to the side for now. I'll let them compost and grow rich. When I'm a more confident writer, I can come back to the historical romance I told you about.

I'm making it sound as if I think writing a contemporary romance will be a doddle. I'm not so naïve. I know it will be hard work, but the idea is really vibrant in my mind right now. It's practically yelling at me. All I have to do is start writing.

The difficult bit will be continuing to write even when things aren't so shiny and vibrant. That's where this blog comes in. I am going to name my contemporary romantic comedy project here, in this blog post, and that will keep me honest.

It is called 'A Girl's Guide to Wine'

Obviously, that's just a working title. It will change once the novel is drafted. The idea of telling you the name of the project now is that I cannot then change my mind in an hour, a day or three days. It would be embarrassing to come back here and explain that I've given up.

So I won't give up. I'll write a little bit a day until the draft is finished. Then I'll edit. Then I'll publish. That's my firm promise to you.

Comments

Popular Posts